RE$EARCH MONEY Job Posting
Customer Engagement & Relationship Manager
Start date: As soon as possible (by November 6th, 2017)
Salary: $40,000-50,000 year (depending on experience)
Job Description: This job is a six-month trial period contract with the possibility of extension into a permanent, full-time position with benefits, dependent on success of trial.
Company: Research Money Inc. (www.researchmoneyinc.com)
Location: 215 Spadina Ave, Toronto (in the Centre for Social Innovation)
Please note: This job is for a recent post-secondary graduate (must have completed studies within the last year) who is 30 years old or under, as it is being supported by a government program with these eligibility requirements.
Our goal is to be a highly trusted and unique source of intelligence about Canada’s science, technology and innovation (STI) policy and investment ecosystem. We want to understand the needs of Canada’s policy makers, entrepreneurs, investors, researchers and students, helping them connect, understand one another and work together to improve our knowledge-based economy and quality of life. Most recently, we have started to expand into the social innovation and social finance space by integrating it into our existing products as well as through a series of focused events.
We publish two newsletters: RE$EARCH MONEY and Canadian Innovation News (CIN). RE$EARCH MONEY is a subscription-based newsletter on STI policy and investment, with a following of government policy readers as well as academics, non-profits, and industry in the innovation ecosystem. CIN is a free publication whose purpose is to showcase Canadian innovation and innovators to the world. We also publish a free weekly e-bulletin called Innovation This Week that highlights new material on the RE$EARCH MONEY website as well as providing unique content for our bulletin readers. We also hold annual conferences and other events.
Research Money Inc. is part of The Impact Group, which also includes another firm: Research Impacts Inc., a consulting firm specializing in science, technology and innovation policy, communications and education.
We have a lot of experience in science, technology and innovation policy and investment, as well as communications, research and education. We cover a lot of areas, and we love what we do! We’re looking for someone who is passionate about connecting with smart people in different fields, learning about what they do and finding ways we can help them succeed.
You will be our lead on customer engagement, relationship management and administration. We are looking to connect with our existing customers to understand the value we are creating for them and how we might do even better. By understanding our customers and connecting with their customers and stakeholders, we hope to grow our customer base and expand our business. In the next year, we want to decide on and implement a new CRM tool, develop and implement a focused sales, marketing and customer engagement strategy, and increase our revenue by at least 20% through increased subscription, conference and ad revenue.
You should be someone who is happy picking up the phone to talk to people, who is keen on building relationships, and who is good with information tools and management. You understand that “sales” is about relationships, listening, and honest conversations about co-creating value with our customers. We’re looking for someone who is comfortable taking initiative and working on their own, but also enjoys working as part of team that likes to talk with each other. You should be comfortable giving and taking feedback.
Currently, we do a lot of our operations through Excel. Among other things, we’re looking to bring someone on board who can take the lead on bringing our customer service and engagement efforts into 2017 by suggesting and implementing a proper customer relations/sales software, onboarding it, and getting everyone up to speed on how to use it.
We’re a small team, and that sometimes means multi-tasking. In addition to working on your main goals, there will be times you end up working with us on other things – from business planning and development, to communications, to event planning and social media. Therefore, you’re the type of person who enjoys engaging in higher-level strategic thinking, but also can roll up your sleeves and dig into specific operational tasks – calling that delinquent company who is behind on their invoice, for example – or helping out during a busy time by boxing up a shipment of conference programs or scheduling a teleconference for 12 busy executives.
It will be both fun and challenging, with lots of room to bring your unique perspective and ways of doing things to the table. We offer a friendly, relaxed work environment, and we appreciate innovative ideas and discussion. We are particularly interested in continuing to expand what we do into the social innovation and social finance sectors – so bonus if you are interested in these areas as well.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Developing, managing and executing our customer engagement strategy including:
– Talking with current customers to find out what value they derive from our product(s) and how we might create more value for them
– Growing our subscriber base through building new relationships, expanding the subscriptions of our current customers, targeted promotional initiatives, etc.
– Soliciting regular feedback (formally and informally) from our community.
– Identifying new verticals/reaching out to potential customers in those new markets
– Identifying and engaging in cross-promotional activities between products
– Increasing the advertising revenue of our newsletters
– Tracking all leads and sharing them with the team
– Engaging the team in the customer engagement and marketing process
– Researching and implementing a new CRM software solution for the company
- Working with other members of the team to identify and actively pursue business opportunities, including new clients for Canadian Innovation News and Research Money, potential partners for our conferences, as well as new, hitherto unheard of opportunities that meet newly identified customer needs
- Managing our subscriber database including handling administration work like invoicing, renewals, ensuring timely payments, etc.
- Ongoing customer service and relations with our subscribers and other stakeholders
- Developing and executing marketing strategies to increase our online traffic/readership
- Working with the COO to create pitches, media kits, proposals and other communication materials for marketing and customer engagement initiatives
- Representing Research Money externally at conferences and meetings with the goal of engaging with existing and potential customers and driving business and partnerships
- Duties may also include generating reports, event planning and marketing, helping in the creation of our weekly bulletin and other communications and working with the team to build our social media profile and update the company’s social media accounts
We are looking for someone who:
- Has recently graduated from a post-secondary program (must have completed studies within the last year) and is 30 years old or under*
- Is excited at the prospect of working in a small company, shaping our business strategies, and growing the business
- Has a college/university degree/diploma in customer engagement/sales, marketing, business, or equivalent work experience
- Has experience in some combination of sales, customer service/administration, marketing and business development
- Has knowledge of CRM tools and is willing to help us integrate them into our operations
- Is really, really good at Microsoft Excel
- Knows their way around other Microsoft Office products (e.g. Office Word, PowerPoint)
- Is an excellent communicator (written and spoken) who is also not afraid to get/give feedback and work as a team on communication items
- Is a seriously detail-oriented person but also understands the importance of the bigger picture
- Has demonstrated ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines
- Likes working as part of a team, but also can create their own deadlines, work independently, and juggle multiple projects efficiently and creatively
- Familiarity with WordPress, HTML/CSS, Survey Monkey and/or Constant Contact
- Interest in social innovation and impact investing/social finance/blended finance
- Experience with social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Experience with event planning
- Experience with Adobe Creative applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and/or with general design work (for online ads, informational pamphlets, media kits, etc.)
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative research methods and data analysis
*This job will be supported by a government program that requires the individual to be a recent post-secondary graduate (must have completed studies within the last year) who is 30 years old or under.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter and resume to Rebecca Melville (email@example.com) by October 18, 2017.
Research Money Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.