Location: Ottawa or Toronto (flexible)
Salary: $40,000-50,000/year (commensurate with experience)
Effective: Part-time transition period starts Summer 2017; full-time position begins Nov 1st, 2017*
Research Money is a speciality newsletter covering Canadian science, technology and innovation, with an emphasis on business issues, government policy/funding/research and academia. We are searching for an energetic, creative and articulate person to join our team as a Managing Editor. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is enthusiastic about policy and innovation in Canada, and who likes working in a small team with lots of flexibility to contribute ideas and expand and develop our company moving forward.
The Managing Editor will be responsible for designing, researching and writing content for a 12-page print newsletter, 12 times each year, in addition to generating editorial content weekly for the Research Money website. The editor will be expected to propose story ideas that differentiate Research Money’s coverage from the mainstream media, providing valuable intelligence that our readers depend on to stay informed and competitive.
- Monitoring the landscape and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders and sources of information
- Researching stories, interviewing and writing
- Providing photos and/or videos for online material (when relevant)
- Managing freelancers and editing their work
- Production (posting for website, layout for print edition)
- Posting story teasers to and otherwise engaging with social media (Twitter and LinkedIn)
- Occasionally attending relevant events and conferences
- Journalism degree and 2-5 years of experience
- Ability to work independently from home, quickly and to deadline
- Experience/familiarity with business writing and economic, science, technology and innovation policies (provide writing samples)
- Proven interview, research, writing and editing skills
- Ability to conduct interviews, synthesize material and generate copy quickly
- Strong people and organizational skills – able to oversee and coordinate freelance writers
- Interested in and motivated to work in small team to help develop and grow company
- Familiarity with, and use of, various social media
- Experience/familiarity with uploading content to a news website (WordPress)
- Experience/familiarity with desktop publishing
- French an asset
- Photography/videography skills as asset
Applicants must have access to own resources (computer, etc.) and to home office or other working space.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to Rebecca Melville (email@example.com) by midnight on Mon June 26, 2017.
About us: Launched in 1987 and headquartered in Toronto, Research Money has established a stellar reputation as the go-to source for the news and insight our readers need on Canadian science, technology and innovation (STI). Our stock-in-trade is information and intelligence from the field that will not be found anywhere else. Many of our readers are at the forefront of shaping Canada’s STI landscape, including high-level research managers, policy makers, senior bureaucrats, analysts, investors, entrepreneurs, politicians and researchers from industry, government, academia and the not-for-profit sectors. We also run a number of well-attended and respected conferences on STI policy issues.
*Position could be part-time for the ideal candidate