Research Money Managing Editor
– – –
Location: Ottawa orToronto (flexible)
Start Date: August 1st, 2018
Position Description: Contract (yearly)
Rate: $25,000-$30,000/year (commensurate depending on experience)
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 writing samples to Rebecca Melville (email@example.com) by midnight on Friday July 20, 2018
– – –
Research Money (R$) is a speciality newsletter covering Canadian science, technology and innovation policy and investment, with an emphasis on business issues, government funding, research and academia. We are searching for an energetic, creative and articulate person to join our team as a Managing Editor. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is enthusiastic about policy and innovation in Canada, and who likes working in a small team with lots of flexibility to contribute ideas and expand and develop our company moving forward.
The Managing Editor will be responsible for managing and editing content for R$, including some content creation, as well as the layout for our print edition. You will be expected to work with freelancers to create content and story ideas that differentiate Research Money’s coverage from the mainstream media, providing valuable intelligence that our readers depend on to stay informed and competitive.
R$ releases content online weekly on Wednesdays, as well as a 12-page print edition once a month (third Wednesday of the month). The print edition contains content from the previous weeks as well as some new content.
- Monitor the landscape and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and sources of information
- Manage 2-5 freelancers, including creation and coordination of editorial calendar
- Edit all freelancer content for final publishing (between 4-6 articles/month)
- Solicit and edit one Opinion Leader/month
- Write one editorial/month
- Research and write approximately 1-3 stories/month (~650-950 words/each)
- Research and write 2-4 news briefs and people items/week (~100-150 words/each)
- Attend weekly editorial meetings (either in person or by phone depending on location)
- Layout monthly print edition
- Post story teasers to and otherwise engage with social media (Twitter and LinkedIn)
- Occasionally attend relevant events and conferences
About us: Launched in 1987 and headquartered in Toronto, R$ has established a stellar reputation as the go-to source for the news and insight you need on Canadian science, technology and innovation (STI). Our stock-in-trade is information and intelligence from the field that will not be found anywhere else. Many of our readers are at the forefront of shaping Canada’s STI landscape, including high-level research managers, policy makers, senior bureaucrats, analysts, investors, entrepreneurs, politicians and researchers from industry, government, academia and the not-for-profit sectors.
We are looking for someone who meets some or all of the following criteria:
- Journalism degree or editing certification
- 2-5 years experience
- Ability to work independently from home, quickly and to deadline
- Journalism experience and familiarity with business writing and economic, science, technology and innovation policies (provide writing samples)
- Proven interview, research, writing and editing skills
- Ability to conduct interviews, synthesize material and generate copy quickly
- Strong people and organizational skills – able to oversee and coordinate freelance writers
- Interested in and motivated to work in small team to help develop and grow company
- Familiarity with, and use of, various social media
- Experience/familiarity with uploading content to a news website (WordPress)
- Experience/familiarity with desktop publishing
- French an asset
Please submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 writing samples to Rebecca Melville (firstname.lastname@example.org) by midnight on Friday July 20, 2018.